AGM – Minutes

2020

45 Degrees Mountaineering Club

AGM – West Highland Lodge, Kinlochleven

25th January 2020: 17.40 pm: Minutes

Members in Attendance: Jim Aire, Ania Borg, John Calder, Bill Dallas, Raymond Evenden, James Fraser, George Henderson, Susan Henderson, Jim Hughes, Paul McGrandles, Alyn McNaughton, Adrian Mowat, Alan Orr, Mike Partington, Ian Pollock, Douglas Reid, Norrie Shand, Lorn Smith, Gerry Weir

  1. Chairman’s Report 2019 (JDF)

The Chairman provided a summary of the past year. Most meets were well attended and enjoyed by the members, except perhaps the Lake District trip – The Dinah Hoguss Camping Barn will definitely not be re-visited.

Although many members had previously climbed/trekked overseas, 2019 saw the first overseas trip as a Club when 11 members headed to the Pyrenees in September to meet up with a good friend of the Club, Caroline David, a local guide and her family. A hugely enjoyable trip followed both in terms of climbing and social activity.

The Chairman expressed appreciation for the contribution to the Club since its inception by outgoing Secretary, Norrie Shand.

Two new members had joined the Club in 2019 – Jim Linden and Mike Partington and former member Douglas Reid had re-joined. All were very welcome additions to the Club.

Finally, the Chairman passed comment on the continued good work carried out by members on Sunday mornings to ensure all huts are left in an acceptable state of cleanliness.

  1. Secretary’s Report and Re-election of Office Bearers (NS)

There were 27 fully paid-up members of the club in 2019 – maintaining last year’s level which is the highest since the Club’s inception. Founder member, Jim Hughes has announced he will not be renewing his membership due to family commitments, but he is assured a place in Club folklore.

Chairman: James Fraser happy to continue.

Vice Chairman: George Henderson happy to continue.

Treasurer: Gerry Weir happy to continue for 2020.  This will be Gerry’s third year as Treasurer and in accordance with the “three year convention” he will be looking to hand over to someone else next year.

Meets Convenor: Raymond Evenden happy to continue.

Secretary: Norrie Shand had announced last year that he wished to wind down and hand over the Secretary position to another member. Bill Dallas offered to take over the role and this was unanimously accepted by those present.

There will be a handover period with regard to Website, Facebook Page and Mountaineering Scotland communications. Process will also be put in place to enable the transfer to Bill from Norrie of the authorisations under the Club’s Santander Bank Account.

  1. Vice Chairman/Treasurers Report and Accounts (GW)

The Treasurer had prepared a financial statement for 2019 and a copy of the Bank Statement. These had been circulated to club members prior to the meeting. No questions were raised by members.

The Vice Chairman and Secretary had reviewed and signed off the 2019 figures in advance of the meeting.

Overall most of the meets had made a small profit/loss – the exceptions being the Arran trip in June (£200 loss) and the Skye trip in July where the Club had agreed in advance to partially subsidise the meet from funds.

There is a bank balance of approx £1,000 and around £1,500 had been paid in deposits for 2020 meets – which should be recoverable from members in due course.

Overall, the Club is in a healthy financial position.

  1. Approval of 2019 Minutes (NS) 

Proposed – GW

Seconded – JF

  1. Matters arising from 2019 minutes (NS)

There were no matters arising.

  1. Membership – numbers and 2020 fees

It was proposed that the existing club membership fees of £30 (adults) and £15 (juniors/full-time students) should continue.

The issue of membership numbers had been discussed under Secretary’s Report and was further discussed under AOB.

  1. Charge for Monthly Meets

Unchanged – actual cost to Club or £10 minimum per person per night.

Unchanged – where permitted by host hut – members may stay in their campervans (or similar) at a cost of 50%.

  1. Monthly Meets – 2020 and beyond (RE)

Thanks were expressed to Raymond for ensuring yet again that an excellent calendar was in place for 2020. Yet again we would revisit a few old favourites and also pay a visit to some new venues.

Once again members were invited to submit any suggestions for future meets to the Huts Convenor.

Agreed that Blackwater Hostel should be booked for January meet/Burns Supper in 2021.

  1. Amendments to Constitution (NS)

No amendments required.

  1. Web Site (NS)

Following NS stepping down as Secretary he would no longer be primarily responsible for production of monthly meet blogs.

This task will be shared amongst members in future.

Bill Dallas will “own” the website, but Adrian Mowat will undertake the actual uploading of blogs. Norrie Shand will provide support as required during the handover period.

When time permits, Adrian Mowat will review the existing website and recommend any changes in format/subscription to the committee.

11.  AOB

NS confirmed it was still his intention to produce a report of the 2019 Pyrenees trip for publication on the website. Mountaineering Scotland will also be invited to publish an edited version in their quarterly magazine as they had previously suggested. It was hoped that publication in the MS quarterly would encourage Scottish Mountaineering Clubs to visit the Pyrenees and provide business for Caroline David’s guiding service.

NS commented that publication in the MS magazine may encourage enquires re membership of our own club – the committee were happy that this could be handled appropriately.

AO/IP were looking to participate in the 2020 Kiltwalk – a charitable cause. Sponsorship from the club was discussed and agreed in principle. AO/IP to provide further information in due course.

Agreed continue annual subscription of £50 to Mountain Bothies Association.

BD confirmed that the radios kindly donated by Jim Linden were unfortunately not of a sufficient specification to be of use to the Club.

GW will contact Caroline David who, it is understood, is arranged French mountaineering visitors to Scotland sometime this year to see if the Club (or individual members) can assist with the programme.

GH – the proposed Rum trip in July had not met with a great response. Possible alternatives to be explored.

JF – apparently a cottage at Garve Bridge has become available and could possibly be taken over by the club and sub-let to generate income. A show of hands suggested the majority were not in favour and the matter will be allowed to drop.

BD thanked everyone on 2019 committee for their efforts during the year.

Meeting Closed 18.23 pm.

2019

45 Degrees Mountaineering Club

AGM – Braedownie Hut, Glen Clova

26th January 2019: 17.25 pm: Minutes

 

Members in Attendance: Jim Aire, John Calder, Bill Dallas, Raymond Evenden, James Fraser, George Henderson, Susan Henderson, Jim Hughes, Alyn McNaughton, Alan Orr, Ian Pollock, Norrie Shand, Lorn Smith, Gerry Weir

  1. Chairman’s Report 2018 (JDF)

The Chairman provided a very brief summary of the past year. Nearly all meets were well attended – a loss was made on three meets but overall a small profit on meets was generated.

The Chairman touched on the health issues of a few members. Unfortunately, Paul McGrandles was no longer able to be an active member of the club, but it was pleasing to note there had been no deterioration in his condition.

  1. Secretary’s Report and Re-election of Office Bearers (NS)

There were 27 fully paid-up members of the club in 2018 – the highest since the Club’s inception, with several having joined mid-year. It is possible there will be some non-renewals in 2019 so we will be looking to bring on board some more new members if possible.

Chairman: James Fraser happy to continue.

Vice Chairman: George Henderson happy to continue.

Treasurer: Gerry Weir happy to continue. Agreed in principle that the Treasurers’ role should change hands at least every three years.

Meets Convenor: Raymond Evenden happy to continue.

Secretary: Norrie Shand happy to continue for 2019 but intimated that this would be his last year. A volunteer will be required to take over the role – preferably sooner rather than later so that there can be a handover period.

 

  1. Vice Chairman/Treasurers Report and Accounts (GW)

The Treasurer had prepared a profit and loss statement for 2018 and a copy of the Bank Statement. These had been circulated to club members prior to the meeting. No questions were raised by members.

The Treasurer explained that the P&L figures supplied were a facsimile of the actual position.

It was agreed that no external audit of the figures was required but that two other members of the Executive Committee will review and sign-off the annual statement before release. This will require an amendment to the Constitution.

The Vice Chairman and Secretary had reviewed and signed off the 2018 figures in advance of the meeting.

Overall the meets had done slightly better than break even with members subs contributing to the increased bank balance.

To assist with reconciling the figures a reference will be provided for each meet which should be applied to the electronic transfers.

The Treasurer reiterated the request that all payments should be made by electronic transfer – cash transactions were strongly discouraged.

 

  1. Approval of 2018 Minutes (NS)

 

Proposed – JH

Seconded – GW

 

  1. Matters arising from 2018 minutes (NS)

There were no matters arising.

  1. Membership – numbers and 2018 fees

It was proposed that the existing club membership fees of £30 (adults) and £15 (juniors/full-time students) should continue.

The issue of membership numbers had been discussed under Secretary’s Report.

Discussion ensued regarding the balance of funds currently retained in the Club Account (£2,000+)

It had been suggested that the Club could purchase equipment such as two-way radios and/or ropes and other climbing gear. BD offered advice gained through his membership of Braemar Mountain Rescue team i.e.

  1. With the funds we have at our disposal, buying radio equipment would not be money well spent. The cost of efficient equipment suitable for communicating in mountain areas would far exceed our budget.
  2. Buying ropes/climbing gear would also be ill-advised. If these items are provided by the Club there is a duty to regularly inspect and declare fit for purpose. Any accident arising out of the use of such equipment could result in a liability claim against the Club.

It was proposed that the Club could fund a meet in 2019. Suggested that the July meet in Skye, hopefully coinciding with Jason Bostock’s last Munro would be an ideal choice. To be confirmed by the Committee in due course.

The general view was that a float of around £2,000 was the right amount to retain to cater for cash flow relating to advance bookings. Further discussions should take place if/when funds get up to the £3,000 mark.

  1. Charge for Monthly Meets

Unchanged – actual cost to Club or £10 minimum per person per night.

Where permitted by host hut – members may stay in their campervans (or similar) at a cost of 50%.

 

  1. Monthly Meets – 2019 and beyond (RE)

A full and varied calendar was now in place for 2019 with a few old favourites and a few that have not previously been visited.

Once again members were invited to submit any suggestions for future meets to the Huts Convenor.

  1. Amendments to Constitution (NS)

There are a few minor amendments required to the Constitution to cater for –

  1. Vice/Chairman and Treasurer now being separate roles
  2. Amended rules re accounts sign-off
  3. Provision for Honorary Membership (see AOB)

The Secretary will make the amendments and send out for approval to other Committee Members.

  1. Web Site (NS)

NS reiterated that if anyone else wished to have a go at the monthly blog they were welcome.

To assist with the blog GW suggested that all meet attendees should put a brief note of what hills they climbed etc when posting their photos on Club Facebook page. Unanimously agreed.

The “About Us” section requires updating to reflect the experiences of newer members.

  • AOB

GH – proposed affiliation to Mountain Bothies Association. The annual affiliation fee is £10 which would be supplemented by a £40 donation i.e. £50 in total. Unanimously agreed.

LS – Proposed Honorary Membership of the Club to Paul McGrandles to reflect his past contribution to the Club. Enthusiastically agreed by all. The Chairman to contact Paul and invite him to accept Honorary Membership.

Constitution will require to be amended to cater for Honorary Membership.

 

Meeting Closed 18.04 pm.

 

 

 

2018

45 Degrees Mountaineering Club

AGM – Glassie farm Bunkhouse, Aberfeldy

27th January 2018: 17.00 pm: Minutes

 

Members in Attendance: Jim Aire, Raymond Evenden, James Fraser, George Henderson, Jim Hughes, Paul McGrandles, Neil Morrison, Alan Orr, Ian Pollock, Douglas Reid, Norrie Shand, Lorn Smith, Gerry Weir

  1. Chairman’s Report 2017 (JDF)

The Chairman provided a very brief summary of the past year. The club continued to be successful even though we had not been blessed with great weather for the majority of our 2017 meets.

  1. Secretary’s Report and Re-election of Office Bearers (NS)

There is some concern that numbers attending the meets were slipping and that we may lose a few existing members in 2018.

Chairman: James Fraser happy to continue.

Vice Chairman/Treasurer: George Henderson has carried out the Treasurer’s role since the formation of the club and had expressed a desire to hand over the reins to another member. Gerry Weir volunteered to take on the position of Treasurer. This will become effective as soon as the necessary paperwork relating to the Bank Account can be completed. George will continue on the committee as Vice Chairman.

Secretary: Norrie Shand happy to continue.

Huts Convenor: Raymond Evenden happy to continue.

  1. Vice Chairman/Treasurers Report and Accounts (GH)

The Vice Chairman/Treasurer had prepared a profit and loss statement as at 31/12/16 and a copy of the Bank Statement. These had been circulated to club members prior to the meeting. No questions were raised by members.

Unfortunately, the previous two meets had resulted in a loss to the Club due to the number of places booked not having been taken up. Equally unfortunately a couple of members had forfeited payments made in advance when unable to attend as the Club were committed to make payment to the Hut Convenors.

LS had not received the documentation in advance. NS will check his distribution list.

The Auditor had previously reviewed and signed off the 2018 accounts.

  1. Approval of 2017 Minutes (NS) 

Proposed – JF

Seconded – AO

  1. Matters arising from 2017 minutes (NS)

There were no matters arising.

  1. Membership – numbers and 2018 fees

It was proposed that the existing club membership fees of £30 (adults) and £15 (juniors/full-time students) should continue.

The likelihood is that we will lose a few existing members – or even if they do renew fewer members are regularly attending the meets.

It was agreed that we would like to increase membership numbers to try and ensure higher numbers at our meets.

Agreed that members will try and “spread the word” by posting meet photos/blogs etc on twitter/other Facebook sites where our activities can be viewed by other people who may be interested in joining the club.

A WhatsApp group will be set up to aid communication between members. AO to organise.

  1. Charge for Monthly Meets

Unchanged – actual cost to Club or £10 minimum.

  1. Monthly Meets – 2018 and beyond (RE)

The 2018 programme is in place up to October, although a date has yet to fixed for the Camusdarach camping meet in July. RE will circulate members around the end of May to try and gauge the most suitable date for the majority.

Proposals by members for future meets would be welcomed, particularly for November and December 2018 which have yet to be fixed up.

There is a possibility that the June meet in Mull may be Jason Bostock’s last munro weekend – although he still has a few to tick off in Knoydart and Skye.

  1. Amendments to Constitution (NS)

The Constitution was reviewed – no amendments were required.

  1. Web Site (NS)

No revisions required. NS advised that if anyone else wished to have a go at the monthly blog they were welcome.

  • AOB

No additional issues raised.

 

Meeting Closed 17.25 pm.

 

2017

45 Degrees Mountaineering Club

AGM – Glassie farm Bunkhouse, Aberfeldy

28th January, 2017: 17.45 pm: Minutes

 

Members in Attendance: Jim Aire, Raymond Evenden, James Fraser, George Henderson, Susan Henderson, Jim Hughes, Paul McGrandles, Neil Morrison, Alan Orr, Ian Pollock, Norrie Shand, Lorn Smith

  1. Chairman’s Report 2016 (JDF)

The Chairman remarked on the continued success of the club, now entering its third year. The majority of meets were well attended and there has been a modest increase in membership numbers.

  1. Secretary’s Report and Re-election of Office Bearers (NS)

The Secretary confirmed that all current Committee Members were happy to continue in their current roles in 2017. This was carried unanimously. If any member would like to become more involved in the administration side of the club they should feel free to volunteer their services.

  1. Vice Chairman/Treasurers Report and Accounts (GH)

The Vice Chairman/Treasurer presented a profit and loss statement as at 31/12/16. Despite there having been no specific fund raising during the year e.g. sales of club shirts (other than one), we had achieved a modest profit for the year.

All meets had either broken even or generated a small profit. The exception was the Loch Ossian meet in December which resulted in a loss of £125.

Overall the position is satisfactory and it was agreed to continue charging members a charge of £10 per night per meet – or the actual cost if this is greater than £10.

It was also agreed to continue the arrangement of refunding pre-payments to members if they are unable to attend a meet at short notice after having put their name down. This will not apply to instances where the club is committed to paying the charge to the hut custodians – in those circumstances no refund will be payable.

If a member who is entitled to a refund wishes to decline the return payment for the benefit of club funds, they are free to do so.

  1. Auditors Report (DR)

Unfortunately, the Auditor was unable to attend the meeting in person but he had signed off a copy of the accounts in advance and this was presented to the meeting by the Vice Chairman/Treasurer.

  1. Approval of 2016 Minutes (NS) 

Proposed – GH

Seconded – IP

  1. Matters arising from 2016 minutes (NS)

There were no matters arising.

  1. Membership – numbers and 2017 fees

Despite a modest increase in the subscriptions payable to Mountaineering Scotland (formerly MCofS) it was proposed that the existing club membership fees of £30 (adults) and £15 (juniors/full-time students) should continue.

We look like we will achieve a modest increase in membership numbers in 2017. It was agreed that it would be beneficial to recruit a few additional members if possible. A membership in the mid 20s would be ideal, hopefully ensuring a decent attendance at all meets but not putting us in a position where members are unable to attend due to high numbers. On some occasions use of tents and/or camper vans can relieve pressure on bunk numbers.

  1. Charge for Monthly Meets

Unchanged – covered under Item 3.

  1. Monthly Meets – 2017 and beyond (RE)

The membership again very positively received the 2017 programme.

Proposals by members for future meets would be welcomed.

The opportunity was taken to try and drum up support for the some of the 2017 meets where not many people had put down their names – particularly the Lake District meet in September.

  1. Amendments to Constitution (NS)

The Constitution was reviewed – no amendments were required.

  1. Meet Furth of Scotland (JDF)

This had previously been discussed but the difficulties involved in trying to organise an overseas meet were acknowledged.

Slovenia was mentioned as a possibility but it appears that cheap flights are not available from Scottish airports.

Any member is welcome to submit a semi-detailed costed plan if they wish to organise such a meet.

  1. Web Site (NS)

No revisions required.

  1. AOB

a) The question of the club’s Facebook was raised – specifically whether it should be Public or Closed. There was some concern that some of the photos posted as “banter” between club members might be embarrassing if seen by a members other Facebook friends.

A show of hands determined that a majority wished the page to remain Public – but it was agreed that members should exercise some discretion re what they are posting.

Members also have the opportunity to adjust their own Facebook settings so that they can only be “tagged” once they have reviewed and approved a post.

b) IP requested feedback on his proposal to set up an archive or “year book” of club meets using videos/photos/blogs that have been published online. This was heartily endorsed and the club awaits progress.

c) JA questioned whether the club should raise/spend money to equip ourselves with climbing gear. The consensus was that this was not necessary as the current membership already had the required gear that might be needed for our meets.

Meeting Closed 18.20 pm.

2016

45 Degrees Mountaineering Club

AGM – Ochils Mountaineering Club Hut, Crianlarich

30th January, 2016: 17.30 pm: Minutes

 

Members in Attendance: Jim Aire, Raymond Evenden, Blair Fraser, James Fraser, Logan Fraser, George Henderson, Susan Henderson, Rowena Hepple, Jim Hughes, Paul McGrandles, Neil Morrison, Alan Orr, Ian Pollock, Douglas Reid, Norrie Shand, Alastair Shaw

  1. Chairman’s Report 2015 (JDF)

The Chairman commented on the resounding success of the club’s first year and made reference to the memorable mountain days, social evenings in the huts and to the absence of any major unfortunate incidents on the hills. He thanked all three of his fellow Committee Members for their work in ensuring the club ran smoothly.

  1. Secretary’s Report and Re-election of Office Bearers (NS)

The Secretary echoed the Chairman’s comments on the Clubs successful year and confirmed that all four Committee Members were happy to continue in their current roles in 2016. This was carried unanimously.

  1. Vice Chairman/Treasurers Report and Accounts (GH)

The Vice Chairman/Treasurer presented a profit and loss statement as at 31/12/15 and explained in broad terms where and how the club was accumulating funds and what outlays were being incurred. Future discussions to take place regarding how to raise some additional funds.

All members reminded that electronic transfer to Bank Account was the most efficient way to make payments to the club – and that all payments made in this manner should include an updated reference detailing what the payment relates to.

  1. Auditors Report (DR)

The Auditor confirmed that he had reviewed the profit and loss statement and confirmed that it represented a true reflection of the Club’s financial position as at 31/12/15.

  1. Membership – numbers and 2016 fees

It was proposed that the existing Adult membership fee of £30 should continue. It was also proposed that the existing Juniors fee of £15 should continue and that this should be extended to students in full time education. Carried unanimously.

With at least a couple of members no longer wishing to re-join it was agreed that we should try and recruit a few more like-minded individuals to increase the membership up to somewhere in mid 20s if possible.

The general view was that we don’t want the club getting too big resulting in some members missing out on Club Meets due to restrictions in numbers.

  1. Charge for Monthly Meets

Current procedure is to charge members the fee required by the Hut Owners but subject to a minimum fee of £10 per night. This generates a small surplus to the club in cases where the actual fee is less than £10.

  1. Monthly Meets – 2016 and beyond (RE)

The Meets Convenor invited comments on the 2016 programme. This was received very positively by the membership. The members were reminded that many huts have to be booked well in advance – up to 12 months in some cases.

Members were reminded that they could make proposals to the committee for future meet locations. The islands of Mull (JA) and Rum (AO) were suggested.

In 2017 RH and AS were hoping to complete their Munros and some thought will be given to combining this event with a Club Meet.

  1. Amendments to Constitution (NS)

The Secretary had previously circulated a copy of the Club’s initial Constitution and details of some proposed amendments to reflect the way that the club is now actually being run. This was mainly a house-keeping exercise. The proposed amendments were accepted unanimously by the membership.

  1. Meet Furth of Scotland (JDF)

The Chairman proposed that some thought should be given to a Club Meet overseas e.g. The Alps. It was agreed that whilst attractive, much more detailed organisation would be required and firm commitments/bookings would be needed before committing the Club.

JH expressed some reservation that the existing bonhomie amongst members might be stretched if we were away for a week together.

If any member wishes to take this idea forward, they should come to the committee with some detailed plans including details of proposed flights/accommodation/costings etc.

  • Web Site (NS)

The existing web site is less extensive than some other Clubs’. It provides basic information on the Club to visitors, includes Meet Reports and details of upcoming Meets. It was agreed that there was no need for any great revision to the site.

The Summit Photos page requires to be updated to include some more recent pictures. Members should email any photos they want included to the Secretary – or upload to Facebook/Twitter.

  • AOB

GH – Ariundle (October Meet): 10 places have been booked/paid for with 9 members currently signed up to go. We therefore need one more person to make up the numbers.

JA – Queried procedure for late cancellations to Club Meets by members. If another member (or guest) can take the cancelling member’s place – or if the Club does not have to make any payment to the Hut Owners for the non-attending member, then a full refund/credit will be given. However, if the club has to make payment for the member and no substitute is available, then no refund/credit can be made.

RE – Proposed that we should try and book the Ochils Club Hut for the 2017 Burns Supper. Agreed.

 

Meeting Closed 17.50 pm.